The International community has condemned the continued violence in Las Anod and expressed serious concern about reports regarding the mobilization of armed groups.
A joint statement released Tuesday said they were also deeply concerned about the shelling of civilian infrastructure, which has resulted in casualties and widespread displacement.
“Attacks against civilians must stop immediately,” the statement added.
The international partners urged the Somaliland administration and SSC-Khatumo to adhere to the ceasefire, exercise restraint, and engage in constructive dialogue to establish a pathway towards a peaceful resolution.
“We reiterate our call for unhindered humanitarian access to urgently address the needs of those displaced and impacted by the ongoing violence,” the statement added.
At least 82 people, including civilians, have been killed in eight days of fighting in Somalia’s breakaway region of Somaliland, a medical source said Monday.
Abdimajid Hussein Sugulle, a medical doctor at Manhal Hospital in Lasanod, said that more than 82 people were killed during the conflict in the town.
The fighting started in Lasanod, the administrative capital of Sool after a group of local leaders, civil society groups, and religious leaders announced last week that they would no longer recognize the Somaliland government.